Monday, December 13, 2010

A letter to my Grandfather

I was inspired by this poem when I heard about the death of my friend's grandmother. When I heard that I remembered my dear grandfather who died two years ago. I started thinking about all the good times we had together, and all the things that I wish I can tell him. At a point I started thinking to my self "what would I tell him if he came to me in one of my dreams?" and there is what I came up with:

Gedo, Oh Gedo
I really, really miss you
I wish I can be up there with you
but what can I say
I have to stay
I have to wait until that day
when my mission is finished
and I get to say hooray
but hopefully after that I will say
أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله و أشهد أن محمدا رسول الله (the shahada)
by the way
there are three things I have to say
that is before you go on your way
first thing I owe you an apology
for every tear came down with agony
because I now know you never needed my agony
I now know what I had to do
I had to read the Qura'n over you
so here is a promise from me to you
I will finish the Qura'n remembering you
أما الحاجة التانية فأنا كنت عايز أقلك (as for the second thing, I just wanted to say to you)
thank you
thank you for each and every mango
I ate without saying thank you
to Allah
و بعدين ليك يا جدو (and then to you Gedo)
أخر حاجة قبل ما تمشي (last thing before you go)
إبعت سلامي (send my salams)
to my other جدي (Gedi) (the "i" here instead of the "o" is because of arabic grammar)
and tell him he will always be right here inside my قلبي (my heart)
جدي has once told me
that every Sudanese person is part of this family
so alhamd lel Allah for this blessed family
and may his mercy be on each and every one of this family

No comments:

Post a Comment